Sunday, 28 June 2015

Out With the Reds

I grew this red Penstemon from a single cutting at Capel Manor College 2 years ago.  A success story in propagation but a failure in pleasure!  I was given the cutting by the course tutor and had no idea what the flowers would eventually look like.  The truth is - I loathe red flowers!  I like deep rich and plummy reds but have a distinct dislike of scarlet reds.  They have their place in certain types of garden but not in mine!

 It took just one swoop of the garden fork to dislodge and uproot this plant.

 I gave the flower bed a quick trim around the edges and forked it over.

Plants that remain are sorrel, cat mint, a small green leaved Heuchera and a lemon balm. I took out an invasive ginger mint that had spread itself about.

The two new replacements are a Heuchera 'Midnight Bayou' which can be seen in the centre and an Agastache 'Kudos Silver Blue' that can just be seen to the right of it.  I am so happy to be shot of the jarring red of the Penstemon and hope to add plants with white flowers to fill in the bare earth.

1 comment:

  1. I love red! Wish I lived closer to you I would have adopted said plant.....
    Julie xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete